February 6, 2017
LCBO Issues Request for Bids for Grocers
Ontario is moving forward on its commitment to improve convenience and choice for people across the province by expanding sale of beer and cider to 80 more grocery stores.
Currently 130 grocery stores across Ontario are authorized to sell beer and cider, of which 70 stores can also sell wine. Starting today, grocers can bid for 80 additional authorizations to sell beer and cider.
This would bring the total to up to 210 grocery stores that would be authorized to sell beer and cider. Authorized grocery store locations will be announced in May, with sales expected to start this summer.
Ontario maintains a strong commitment to social responsibility. By law, grocers selling beer or wine must have designated sales areas and operate within standard hours of sale, abide by limitations on package size and alcohol content, and follow staffing and social responsibility training requirements.
Giving consumers more choice and convenience, while creating a more dynamic and competitive business environment for beer and cider producers, is part of the government's plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Grocers are invited to register via Biddingo to submit their bid to the LCBO. Once successful bidders receive an authorization from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, grocers will then be permitted to purchase beer and cider from the LCBO for resale at the authorized grocery store locations.
- Ultimately, beer and cider will be available in up to 450 grocery stores, including up to 300 that will also sell wine. This is in addition to more than 450 Beer Stores and 650 LCBO stores across Ontario.
- For a map and list of the currently authorized grocery stores that sell wine, beer or cider, visit ontario.ca/morechoice.
- Allowing beer and wine in grocery stores across the province follows the final recommendations made by the Premier's Advisory Council on Government Assets. Changes to beverage alcohol retailing in Ontario include the sale of beer in grocery stores, the sale of cider in grocery stores, online shopping at LCBO.com and the sale of wine in grocery stores.
- All grocery stores that sell wine, beer and cider must abide by the requirements for the responsible sale of alcohol overseen by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
Bidding Process for Beer and Cider in Grocery